Volume 19 1976
Permanent URI for this collection
Now showing 1 - 5 of 13
- ItemPalaeontologia africana Volume 19(Bernard Price Institute for Palaeontological Research, 1976)
- ItemAn unusual mayfly (Insecta: Ephemeroptera) from the Triassic of South Africa(Bernard Price Institute for Palaeontological Research, 1976) Riek, E. F.An unusual mayfly from the Upper Triassic near Dordrecht in the Cape Province of South Africa is described as Xenophlebia optata gen. et sp. nov., and is ascribed to a new family, the Xenophlebiidae, as its sole representative.
- ItemFossil insects from the Middle Ecca (Lower permian) of southern Africa(Bernard Price Institute for Palaeontological Research, 1976) Riek, E. F.Three insects are recorded from carbonaceous shales of Middle Ecca age from Hammanskraal, near Pretoria. Thaumalophora pranotalis gen. et sp. nov., is an aquatic nymph of the Paraplecoptera showing lateral abdominal gills. Sysciophlebia kovacsae sp. nov. is a tegmen of a spiloblattinid cockroach. The third specimen is a small protopsyllidiid nymph. Only three insects of greater age are known from southern Africa.
- ItemAn entomobryid collembolan (Hexapoda: Collembola) from the Lower Permian of Southern Africa(Bernard Price Institute for Palaeontological Research, 1976) Rick, E. F.Permobrya mirabilis gen. et sp. nov., recorded from carbonaceous shales of the Middle Ecca of southern Africa, is a rather large entomobryid collembolan. The specimen, preserved in lateral view, is complete except for the dentes and mucrones of the furcula and details of the claws which are not visible in the shale matrix. The species is surprisingly similar to Recent Collembola.
- ItemOn some "northern" elements in the Lower Gondwana flora of Vereeniging, Transvaal(Bernard Price Institute for Palaeontological Research, 1976) le Roux, S. F.A small assemblage of plant elements from the Lower Permian of Vereeniging, in the southern Transvaal, is described here. The assemblage is constituted of form-genera normally only found in the palaeo floristic regions of the northern hemisphere. The genera concerned are: Pecopteris (Asterotheca), Cladophlebis, Sphenophyllum and Psygmophyllum. The intermingling of these "Northern" elements with the Glossopteris flora of Vereeniging serves to illustrate the mixed nature of this flora. Reference is made to similar mixed Gondwana floras elsewhere in Africa and also in South America.
- 1 (current)