Mortality and violence in Agincourt, a rural area of South Africa

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Mosiane, Malerato Adelaide Nthamane
dc.date.accessioned 2009-11-17T12:53:28Z
dc.date.available 2009-11-17T12:53:28Z
dc.date.issued 2009-11-17T12:53:28Z
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10539/7452
dc.description M.MSc. (Med.), Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, 2009 en_US
dc.description.abstract Violence is a hidden problem in most communities, yet it is among the leading causes of death and non-fatal injury worldwide. It is an essential public health issue for every country and needs to be addressed as a matter of priority. While rural areas of South Africa are believed to be safer than urban areas, they are not necessarily safe per se. The main objective of this study is to examine the burden of fatal violent injuries on a rural South African community. The violent deaths data used in this report were collected through a verbal autopsy (VA) process during the period 1992 to 2000 in Agincourt, Bushbuckridge, a rural area in the north-eastern part of South Africa with a population of about 69 000 people. Person-years data for the same period, obtained from the Agincourt Health and Demographic Surveillance System (AHDSS), were used for the denominator in the computation of rates. Violence accounted for 5.9% (170/2 859) of deaths from all causes in the Agincourt area between 1992 and 2000. Of the 170 violent deaths, 68.2% were due to assault while the remaining 31.8% were suicides. The proportion of violent deaths, as proportion of deaths from all causes, is highest in the 15–19 year age group (20.9%, compared to 1.0% amongst those under the age of 15 years and 2.0% among those 60 years and older). The small number of victims in each age group results in wide confidence intervals. The violent deaths proportion, as a proportion of deaths from all causes, is higher in males (9%) than in females (2.3%). Violence levels appear to be higher among South Africans than among self-settled former Mozambicans, though the observed difference between these two populations is not statistically significant. However, a statistically significant difference is found between levels of death due to assault among migrants and permanent residents. To address this situation, violence prevention strategies and programmes need to be put in place to reduce violence. However, more research is required in order to identify more risk factors associated with violent behaviour, to study the identified risk factors, and to inform the development of these programmes. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.subject mortality en_US
dc.subject violence en_US
dc.subject assault en_US
dc.subject suicide en_US
dc.subject violence prevention en_US
dc.title Mortality and violence in Agincourt, a rural area of South Africa en_US
dc.type Thesis en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search WIReDSpace


Browse

My Account

Statistics