Outcomes of surgical repair of Tetralogy of Fallot in an African tertiary care centre with emphasis on post-operative pulmonary regurgitation

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Ngwezi, Deliwe Precious
dc.date.accessioned 2012-01-17T09:32:32Z
dc.date.available 2012-01-17T09:32:32Z
dc.date.issued 2012-01-17
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10539/11032
dc.description.abstract BACKGROUND: Despite the advances in the surgical treatment of Tetralogy of Fallot(TOF), pulmonary regurgitation (PR) remains as a possible complication with detrimental impact on right ventricular function (RV) in the long term. If these effects are not reversed timeously by replacing the pulmonary valve, serious morbidity and even mortality may occur. AIM: The aim of the study was to assess the outcomes in children who had complete repair of TOF at Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital (CMJAH) with or without a RV outflow conduit with emphasis on the development of PR, as well as signs and symptoms that could be linked to PR. METHOD: A retrospective clinical audit on patients with a diagnosis of TOF and who had surgery at the CMJAH between 01/01/1994 and 31/12/2003 was undertaken. Data collected and entered onto a data collection sheet included ethnicity, sex, type of surgery which was either palliation with a Blalock-Taussig shunt (BTS) or corrective surgery, age at surgery, echocardiographic documentation of PR and RV size during follow-up. Other information included electrocardiogram (ECG) changes, abnormalities detected on chest X-ray (CXR), whether or not the patient was subjected to re-operation, as well as the indications of re-operation. RESULTS: Of the 72 patients with TOF and available data, fifty four patients (75%) had surgery, 50 (92.6%) of whom had corrective surgery and 4(7.4%) had palliative surgery in the form of a BTS only. Of the 50 who had corrective surgery, 2 (4%) patients had an initial BTS shunt while the remaining forty eight (96%) underwent initial primary corrective surgery. There were 46 males (63.9%) and 26 (36.1%) females. The median age at first visit was 13 months (range, 0.03 to 177), median age at corrective repair was 39.5 months (range, 3 to 210) and median age at palliation was 18 months (range, 1.5 to 29). Of the 50 patients undergoing corrective surgery, 60% had complex anatomy and 40% simple anatomy. More females compared to males had complex anatomy with a hypoplastic pulmonary valve (p= 0.047). Two patients undergoing a transannular patch (TAP) developed severe PR in the immediate postoperative period (less than 1 year) whilst no patients in the simple repair group developed severe PR (p= 0.110). In the intermediate postoperative period (1 to 5 years), there was 1 patient each in the TAP and simple repair group with severe PR (p = 0.476). Finally in the long term period (more than 5 years), 8 patients with TAP developed severe PR whilst 2 patients with simple repair developed severe PR (p= 0.005). Two patients out of fifteen patients (13.3%) with TAP had a pulmonary valve replacement (PVR). No patients with simple repair had PVR. CONCLUSION: Severe PR is an expected and serious complication accompanying all forms of repair techniques employed for the wide anatomical spectrum of TOF. In this study, comparison of the two most common types of repair, namely simple versus TAP, revealed a statistically significant occurrence of PR in the TAP group. Appropriate timing for PVR is paramount for the symptomatic patients in order to preserve RV function. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.subject.mesh Tetralogy of Fallot en-US
dc.title Outcomes of surgical repair of Tetralogy of Fallot in an African tertiary care centre with emphasis on post-operative pulmonary regurgitation en_US
dc.type Thesis en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search WIReDSpace


Advanced Search

Browse

My Account

Statistics