“...We can make our lives sublime,
And departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time.”
(Henry Wadsworth Longfellow 1807-1882)
In 1954 a Dental Research Unit was formed between the Council for cientific and Industrial Research and the University of the Witwatersrand. Fifteen years later the Unit was taken over by the Medical Research Council who changed it into an Institute in 1978. In 2004 the Medical Research Council status of the Institute ended.
These few lines of history conceal the intellectual efforts of four Directors, countless staff, postgraduate students and collaborators, as well as the sponsorship of the University, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research and Medical Research Council. They conceal too the fun, hopes, worries and achievements of all of us who have striven to increase knowledge in an attempt to better Society.
This collection shows the published work over 55 years of what is usually called the DRI, now the Division of Experimental Odontology. They are an acknowledgement of our “...footprints on the sands of time.”