Centre for Deaf Studies
Permanent URI for this community
In addition to working with teachers of the Deaf, we aim to equip parents of Deaf children, and the greater Deaf community with the necessary knowledge and skills to foster equal opportunities for the South African Deaf Community.
Browsing Centre for Deaf Studies by Title
Now showing 1 - 15 of 15
Results Per Page
- ItemBenjamin’s Girl - Along came a Strawberry(ABC Press, 2017) Birdsey, Bianca; Storbeck, Claudine; Goode, ElizabethAlong came a Strawberry' captures a special evening in the life of Ben and his girl. This little story about fear and courage can be used to unwrap meaningful conversations with young readers. This book provides further opportunity to explore literacy development, language, Theory of Mind and the gift of developing the skill of self-reflection and empathy.
- ItemBenjamin’s Girl - The Present(Roots Resources, 2018) Birdsey, Bianca; Storbeck, Claudine; Good, Elizabeth; Printed by ABC PressThe Present' is a story which continues to unwrap interesting details of what life might be like being deaf. Set around Esther's seventh birthday, this third book in the Benjamin's Girls series invites the reader to join in a fun-filled day. This celebration digs deeper into the joy of what it means to be different, and how that which makes us each unique can be a gift to others.
- ItemColour me blue(2019) Naude, KellyDeaf people the world over continued to fight for their rights, to be included in society, to be educated and use their own language. Hearing people who understood the needs and rights of the Deaf Community stepped up and advocated for them where they could, and through inventive advances in Deaf education, perceptions about deafness began to change.
- ItemDeaf heroes: Deaf South Africans who are making a difference(2019) Swannack, Robyn; Storbeck, Claudine
- ItemDifferent is beautiful(Roots Resources, 2017) Birdsey, Bianca; Storbeck, ClaudineBenjamin Girl 'Different is Beautiful' is the first in a short series, that explores the life of a little deaf girl through the eyes of her favourite teddy bear. The book serves as a tool for developing empathy and self awareness as the young reader is invited to explore the reality of a little character, who is beautifully different.
- ItemFragments of silence(Roots Resources, 2018) Mcilroy, Guy
- ItemGogo will be okay(2021) Storbeck, Claudine; Goode, ElizabethSibu visits his mama in the city during school holidays and soon learns that his beloved Gogo has fallen ill. We follow his journey trough uncertainty and difficult emotions. This third story in our Ingane Yami series serves as a gentle reminder of how important it is to tell someone when we feel worried.
- ItemIsipho - The Gift(Roots Resources, 2018) Birdsey, Bianca; Storbeck, Claudine; Deans, Maxine; Goode, Elizabeth; Revised by Khawula-White, Simangele; Printed by ABC PressIsipho - The Gift, the first of two short stories in the Ingane Yami series, is a realistic account of what life is like for many South Africans living in rural areas. Late identification, long journeys using hospital transport, extensive waits for assistive devices and social stigma are just a few realities that families with children who have special needs face.
- ItemLife beyond deafness(2019) Various contributing authorsStories of Deaf South Africans
- ItemSASL Alphabet(2019) Storbeck, ClaudineA rhyme based alphabet book for young children and an introduction to South African Sign Language for readers of all ages.
- ItemSASL: A teacher, friend & family resource for beginners: Quick and easy reference to learning South African signs with SASL, English, Zulu, & Afrikaans(Wits Centre for Deaf Studies, 2018) Einsteinhands; Thrive (support group for parents of deaf children)
- ItemA Selection of SASL Games and Activities(2020) Swannack, RobynSASL Games are a great way of enjoyment and active engagement in the classroom, and can improve and motivate learning. These games have been developed with the key principles of Deaf Culture and Deaf community in mind. Choose a game from the book and start an inspiring and fun journey with your class!
- ItemSibu Goes To School(Roots Resources, 2018) Birdsey, Bianca; Storbeck, Claudine; Deans, Maxine; Goode, Elizabeth; Revised by Khawula-White, Simangele; Printed by ABC PressSibu goes to School' follows on from 'Isipho - The Gift'. The story allows the reader to experience much of Sibu's big day as he sets off hand in hand with his beloved Gogo. They meet a new friend, Mbali, who is also different from many of the other children in their village. Mbali and Sibu, through the events of the day, discover that their special gifts can greatly help each other.
- ItemTeacher's guide to growing languages and literacy(Roots Resources, 2021) Storbeck, ClaudineA rich, user-friendly, printable guide, full of resources to inspire you to learn and grow more as a teacher and as a learner. It is our hope that Deaf and hard-of-hearing children will catch your passion for books and become readers.
- ItemUsing our hands(2020) Storbeck, Claudine; Goode, ElizabethYoung children explore the various ways we can use our hands from eating to talking