Browsing Architecture by Issue Date

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Browsing Architecture by Issue Date

Sort by: Order: Results:

  • Unkown (2011-07-25)
    Corner Loveday and Fox Streets, this building combined a double-storeyed cast iron verandah with upper floors in brick treatment. Other features are the domed tower, and flanking psuedo-Renaissance cum Mediaeval gables. ...
  • Lennox, Canning & Goad (2011-07-25)
    Exchange Buidings, 1890. Erected at a cost of 125,000 pounds, this building, in the Neo-Classic tradition, was opened on February 10th, 1890. Situated corner commissioner and Simmonds Streets, it was partly converted into ...
  • Unkown (2011-07-25)
    President street. This later became the Catholic Club. Image 942.
  • Unkown (2011-07-25)
    Green & Co., Boot & Shoe Importers, Eloff Street. This building was situated on the block now occupied by Castle Mansions. Image 706.
  • Unkown (2011-07-25)
    The elaborate interior of Harris & Co. the Jewllers and Silversmiths, who were situated in a building in commissioner Street. The bric-a-brac cluttering up this interior is similar to that found in the Victorian home. Image 706.
  • Unkown (2011-07-25)
    Fordsburg Post Office, one of the first branch post offices in Johannesburg, and situated in the Ferreirastown district. Image 942.
  • Hawke & McKinlay (2011-07-25)
    From the original drawing by the archiects. Image 169.
  • Unkown (2011-07-25)
    Store Bros. Corner of Pritchard and Joubert Streets, Johannesburg, Image 702
  • Kallenbach & Kennedy (2011-07-25)
    From the original drawing by the Architects, Messrs. Kallenbach and Kennedy. Image 942
  • Stucke & Bannister (2011-07-25)
    Fox, Harrison & Commissioner streets, 1906, original elevational drawing. Image 518.
  • Rand Club 
    Unknown; Reid & McCowat (2011-08-02)
    The leading club of the Mining Town, with libraries, restaurant, billiard room and bedrooms. On the same site as the presemt Club, fronting onto Loveday, Fox and Commissioner Streets. Extensive use of cast iron and stock ...
  • Unknown (2011-08-02)
    1889, corner of Rissik, showing buildings on present Stuttaford's site. The tower of St. Mary's Hall is in the middle distance. "A hive of industry and a nursery of great expectations..."
  • Davies Bros. (2011-08-02)
    Commissioner street, off Sauer street. Fremch Renaissance style was adopted for the Mining Camp's first double-storeyed Bank. The building is still existing today, and is thus one of the city's oldest. Portion of the ...
  • Unknown (2011-08-02)
    View of the building fronting onto New Street North and Joubert Street. This buildingwas surrounded by tall blue-gum trees for many years, these striking an incongruous note in the city pattern. Johannesburg's first Court ...
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    c/o Commissioner & Rissik Streets. Date Unknown.
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    Built in Rissik Street, forming the eastern extremity of the Market Square. This building later became the first Post Office.
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    Joubert Street. The firm of Paddon & Brock opened in Johannesburg at the lower end of Market Square in 1887, and erected their new building in 1893 in Pritchard Street, with an entrance also in Joubert Street.
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    Seen from Pritchard Street. In the middle distance, adjoining Palace Buildings, is a portion of the well-known Henwood's Building, constructed almost entirely of cast-iron. "Henwood's Arcade" was a great shopping venue ...
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    First Telephone Exchange, 1891, Johannesburg.
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    The Market Hall on the left, the Colonial Trust Building and the African City Property Trust Building in the Centre. Date Unkown.

Search WIReDSpace


Browse

My Account