Browsing by Author "Unknown"

DSpace/Manakin Repository

Browsing by Author "Unknown"

Sort by: Order: Results:

  • Boborygmi 
    Unknown (1930-06)
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    All Johannesburg's Victorian architecture is stamped with a certain amount of ostentation arising out of exuberant and excessive decoration. Once the early pioneers realised that Johannesburg was there to stay and was ...
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    First Telephone Exchange, 1891, Johannesburg.
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    Built in Rissik Street, forming the eastern extremity of the Market Square. This building later became the first Post Office.
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    In the foreground is the old Standard Bank. In this photograph is embodied the character of the mining camp. A great forest of corrugated iron glistening in the midday sun.
  • Unknown (1936-11)
  • Unknown (2011-08-02)
    View of the building fronting onto New Street North and Joubert Street. This buildingwas surrounded by tall blue-gum trees for many years, these striking an incongruous note in the city pattern. Johannesburg's first Court ...
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    The Market Hall on the left, the Colonial Trust Building and the African City Property Trust Building in the Centre. Date Unkown.
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    From the Post Office, looking South West. On the extreme right is the Market Hall. 1900.
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    c/o Commissioner & Rissik Streets. Date Unknown.
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    Joubert Street. The firm of Paddon & Brock opened in Johannesburg at the lower end of Market Square in 1887, and erected their new building in 1893 in Pritchard Street, with an entrance also in Joubert Street.
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    Seen from Pritchard Street. In the middle distance, adjoining Palace Buildings, is a portion of the well-known Henwood's Building, constructed almost entirely of cast-iron. "Henwood's Arcade" was a great shopping venue ...
  • Unknown (1931-09)
  • Unknown (2011-08-02)
    1889, corner of Rissik, showing buildings on present Stuttaford's site. The tower of St. Mary's Hall is in the middle distance. "A hive of industry and a nursery of great expectations..."
  • Unknown (2011-08-04)
    Corner of Eloff Street showing on the left, the first Chundleigh's Building site of the present O.K.Bazaars and across the road, the single-storey building on the present Cuthbert's site.
  • Rand Club 
    Unknown; Reid & McCowat (2011-08-02)
    The leading club of the Mining Town, with libraries, restaurant, billiard room and bedrooms. On the same site as the presemt Club, fronting onto Loveday, Fox and Commissioner Streets. Extensive use of cast iron and stock ...
  • Unknown (1933-11)
  • Unknown (1933-06)

Search WIReDSpace

Browse

My Account